Monday, July 20, 2015

Tapas Party...



Bar Ferdinand
1030 North 2nd Street 
Philadelphia, PA 19123

My fiancé and I dropped in for brunch on a Saturday afternoon recently because I had a gift card and we were nearby looking at wedding invitations. The place was completely empty which I thought was odd, but maybe they do more dinner business than lunch. We sat outside because it was beautiful, and we received plenty of attention from our waiter. We ordered a glass of red and white sangria respectively. Both were very good, but the white was killer. I thought the red sangria had a bit too much wine taste to it and not enough fruit. If I wanted a glass of wine I would have ordered one, not a Sangria. 



Our waiter recommended that we order 4 to 5 plates between the two of us so that we would have enough food. We did just that, ordering the open faced chorizo sandwich, the date and bacon empanadas, the patatas bravas, jamon croquettas and the churros. It should be noted that the brunch menu is much more compact than the dinner menu is in terms of options. 



Overall the food was pretty good. There were some high and lows along the way though. The date and bacon empanadas were a distinct winner with the combination of smoke and sweetness and very light crust. The open faced chorizo sandwich was also fantastic. The heat from the chorizo was a great complement to the rich egg yolk, and the bread was perfect as well.



The patatas bravas and the croquettas didn't fair so well for us. The aioli served with the potatoes was great, but the potatoes weren't crispy which definitely took away from the dish. The croquettas were fried well, but they were overly cheesy and definitely made us lose the taste of the ham. Again the romesco sauce was awesome. Unfortunately the churros wound up the same way. They were ok, but I think they needed a better sugar ratio. The chocolate sauce it was served with was awesome, but it just wasn’t good enough to save the flavorless churros.  

 

For now I would offer up two pints for Bar Ferdinand. With all the ups and downs I really want to go back for dinner and try some more of the other options. There were definitely a bunch more options for dinner, and definitely some more traditional tapas dishes that I would really love to give a go to. Some things were great and others were just ok. So far it's not the best tapas I have had in Philly, but It's definitely worth a visit. I will be back! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers