Monday, July 6, 2015

Hot Cakes Shore Style...



Uncle Will’s Pancake House
3 South Bay Avenue
Beach Haven, NJ 08008

My brother has been living in LBI since he graduated college, so he has become a regular at a place we know quite well. Uncle Will's Pancake House has been a must go to for breakfast for as long as I can remember. This place has changed a lot over the years. I have been coming to LBI since 1990 and it's been a staple every summer. It used to be simple and to the point. They only used to offer breakfast. There was always a line outside. Now it's changed, but for the better. They do dinner now. They offer a wide variety of different menu options. And that line is still constantly there. We waited an hour to be seated even though my brother eats there multiple times a week. 



The only thing I hate about this place is how they seat people. They don't seat them based on party size, but rather they seat them first come first serve, which doesn’t work out great when you are seating parties of two at tables for four people and things of that nature. Anyway, once we were seated, I had a tough time deciding what to order, shocker, but since my fiancé ordered the thing I was really interested in, I was able to order something else. She ordered the red neck Benedict, for me an omelette with pork roll, manchego cheese and sun dried tomatoes, and for the table of four of us, and order of banana chocolate chip pancakes to share.  



Bottomless coffee, we love you. I can't stand when restaurants gouge you for coffee each time you want a refill. Uncle Wills just kept on pouring. Our food came out rather quickly and it smelled delicious. My omelette was fantastic. I'm a South Jersey native, so pork roll is close to my heart, and it probably is in my heart clogging it up too, but God I love it. It went really well with the nutty manchego cheese and the acidic sun dried tomatoes. 



My fiancés red neck Benedict was not as good as it sounded though. Going to school in North Carolina for 4 years really changed my perspective on sausage gravy and biscuits. These biscuits were actually pretty good, and they sopped up the gravy nicely. The gravy didn't have enough pepper or sausage in it though, and I didn't really understand why the ham was chopped up into pieces. Usually when you get a benedict, you get a piece of meat laid across the muffin or biscuit. It would have been fine though if the ham was a little bit better tasting than it was. It was ok, just pretty plain.



The pancakes really drove it home for us. While I wish there was more banana and a little less chocolate chips, the flavor was fantastic. They were definitely some of the better pancakes I have had in recent memory. You gotta love it when a place called a Pancake House really does have killer pancakes.



Three and a half pints for Uncle Will's Pancake House. After all these years, it still is worth a trip. The wait is a pain in the butt, but you would be mistaken to come to LBI and not eat at Uncle Will's. Its an LBI staple. Check it out and let me know what you think. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers