Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Night Above All the Rest...



Vetri vs. Zahav Cage Match @ Alla Spina
1410 Mount Vernon Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
 
By now you know that I really look forward to the Cage Matches that the Vetri crew hosts at Alla Spina. I was even more excited to hear that they would be facing off against one of my favorite chefs and restaurants for their first attempt at an outside the family cage match. They would face off against Michael Solomonov and team from Zahav. My fiancé as usually stalked the phone lines and called right away and was able to score us some seats. We were able to snag a seat for one of my best friends as well, (what up Chu!) and although he was late and my fiancé wound up leaving early because she felt ill, it was a great night nonetheless. It was one of those food experiences you look back on and realize, holy crap that was frigging unbelievable. It was a night and an experience I will never forget. 







The ingredients for this matchup were corn, chicken thighs, feta cheese and watermelon, and again you don’t have to use them in that order. First courses from the teams were both cocktails, and dishes were a chilled watermelon soup from team Vetri obviously utilizing the watermelon, and shakshuka from team Zahav, utilizing the feta cheese. The watermelon soup was a beautiful plate and a very delicious dish. It had a great balance between watermelon and olive oil flavors, and the chunks of watermelon cut and placed in the dish first were a nice touch as well. The shakshuka was simply divine. It is a egg dish, cooked in a warmly spiced tomato base and in this case topped with lambs tounge and feta cheese. I really couldn’t help myself from devouring this dish. I just kept piling it on my plate. Wow what a start from both teams, but I had Zahav ahead because of the deliciously rich and soulwarming nature of the shakshooka. It was outrageously good, and I have been craving it ever since. 






Second courses were up next and we received a few beers from both teams, as well as curgliones in a butter sauce with corn from team Vetri and a raw lamb kibbe niah from team Zahav utilizing the corn as well. Again both dishes were outstanding. The pasta from Adam Leonti was tender, incredibly fresh and coated in a delicious brown butter sauce. It added a bit of richness to the dish without making it heavy. The kibbeh nayeh from team Zahav was delicious in a totally different way. The raw lamb mixed with the yogurt sauce and peaches were a great combination, but eventually became too much for me to continue with. I gave team Vetri the nod on this one because I am a sucker for any type of fresh pasta cooked in a brown butter sauce, and this one was particularly fantastic. This was going to be a battle to the end. It was a matchup of Philly restaurant titans, the best of the best, and it was already going so well.





Third course were up next, featuring red wine from team Vetri, and Madiera from Brian Kane and team Zahav. This was my first introduction to the man that has taught me more about booze and restaurants than I ever thought I would learn. He now runs Abe Fisher, another fantastic offering from the Solomonov crew, go check it out! These drink offerings went with a chicken thigh saltimbocca with watermelon rind agrodolce from team Vetri and a chicken thigh and foie gras dish over Persian rice from team Zahav. The chicken saltimbocca was fantastic. The chicken was cooked perfectly, with a nice sear on the exterior and a juicy and flavorful center inside. The sweet and sour sauce with the watermelon rind was the perfect Both dishes were outstanding. However the Zahav dish was simply perfect. The richness of the foie went together incredibly well with the charred chicken and beautifully cooked rice. I have never had rice that good and amazingly flavorful. The dish was simply superb, and although they were both incredibly delicious, I had to give the nod to team Zahav for an overall fantastic pairing and execution of their dish.






Dessert was on its way, and I was absolutely packed full, but I knew the end was near and I had to persevere. We were served a sweet port from Team Vetri and a Vanderghinste Oud Bruin, a dark brown, yet lightly fruity beer from Team Zahav. Pairing with the sweet port was a feta cheesecake from team Vetri with cherries and pistachios that was absolutely outrageous. The feta cheesecake didn’t have a taste that you would expect from Feta cheese. It wasn’t salty or briny like feta usually is, but it did give it a more savory flavor, a flavor that I absolutely fell in love with. It was like a piece of art, and pairing it with the sweet cherries was perfection. The dessert from team Zahav was not nearly as successful. It was a kanafeh, a sweet cheese dessert wrapped in shredded phyllo dough and topped with a watermelon sauce and cubed watermelon. While the dessert was ok, I just didn’t think the watermelon paired well with it. It was too sweet, and definitely overpowered the kanafeh itself. Team Vetri was the hands down winner of dessert.

This was a battle of epic proportions. Thrilla in Manilaesque if you will. Solomonov and Vetri are two giants in the food world, and in Philadelphia, they are the best of the best. Their teams are unmatched and incredibly talented, and the food and drink that was on display that evening was nothing short of mind blowing. Team Zahav barely etched out a victory in the end, but they did. That’s the way I scored it, and that’s the way it ended up. The student, Mike Solomonov, a former sous chef for Marc Vetri, took down the master. They all seemed to have a blast taking part in this, and so much of it went to benefit a great thing, Rooster Soup Company. (check out more information on that here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3806479/radical-hospitalty-and-the-rooster-soup-company) If you ever get a chance to take part in something like this, you will not want to miss it, but you may have to fight me for a spot! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers