Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Burgers in the Park...



Square Burger
200 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

I used to live near Franklin Square park, and every time I have been there or walked past it, I have thought about trying Squareburger. Since its a seasonal restaurant, that limits the amount of time you have to try it. We needed to figure something out for dinner on a Friday evening before heading down the shore, so I suggested we walk up and finally give it a try.



We ordered a burger each, split an order of fries and split a cake shake as well. We grabbed a seat at a nearby picnic table and waited for the food to be ready. It took an inordinate amount of time to prepare our food considering we were the only people there. There was no line and there was no one else eating there, but it still took a good twenty minutes to prepare our food, which for most places isnt a big deal, but at a hamburger stand, especially one that isnt busy, its an issue.



When we finally did get our food, we were constantly annoyed by the birds and squirrels in the park. This has nothing to do with the restaurant's rating, just a side bar so you know what to expect. They will climb on the table while you are sitting there eating and they will not move when shooed away. You have to be very aggressive with them.



The burgers were thin, placed on a potato roll that was toasted, and topped with cheese, chopped onions and pickles and a healthy serving of mustard and ketchup. It was a good, solid burger. For me, I wish it was a little meatier, but the toppings were spot on and simple. The fries were ridiculously hot and cooked well, but I expected hand cut fries from a Starr operation. However, they were executed well, and in the essence of time, they were a good choice.



The shake was outstanding. It was definitely one of the best milkshakes I have had anywhere. They left the Tastykake butterscotch krimpets just chunky enough so that you got pieces of icing and cake in your sips of milkshake. It was heaven in a glass.

Three solid pints for Squareburger. It’s a tough rating because you have to take into consideration the seasonality of it, but I thought the prices were very affordable. Was it the best hamburger I have ever had? No. Was it worth it for the price, yes I believe so. I thought it was better than Shake Shack and at a better price point as well. The damn cake shake is fantastic. It is definitely worth a visit! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers