Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bring on the Fish...

Devon Seafood
225 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

My aunt’s birthday was a few weeks ago, and she made a reservation for six of us to go out to Devon Seafood Grill in Philadelphia to celebrate. Unbeknownst to me, I had been to Devon once before when I interviewed with PWC a few years ago, but I was excited to eat at Devon nonetheless. I had heard nothing but good things about it, and I can always be won over by a restaurant that serves great seafood.

The menu made it very difficult for me to choose anything, because everything looked fantastic to me. I decided on a bowl of the lobster bisque and my girlfriend got the beet salad, so we decided to share them both. I ordered the seared Opah, which came with polenta and grilled artichoke, and for dessert I ordered the banana crepe with peanut butter sauce.



The lobster bisque was fantastic. The soup was creamy, and unlike many other restaurant lobster bisques that I’ve had, it had a lot of chunks of lobster in it. The texture was velvety and succulent, and it was delicious through each and every bite. The beet salad was also quite tasty. It came with caramelized walnuts, pears, gorgonzola, watercress, and a walnut vinaigrette. I don’t usually like fruity salads, but this one was pretty delicious.



The main course was both amazing and disappointing. The opah was a really nice piece of fish. It was seared perfectly, and seasoned simply, but to perfection. It was like a mix between a flaky white fish, and a steak like cut of fish. It was really wonderful. The rest of my main course was a bit of a letdown. The polenta was pretty bad. It wasn’t very creamy, and it lacked seasoning. I was expecting a lot more from it, but I guess I should have stuck with something a bit simpler and I might have been more satisfied. The grilled artichoke was just a mistake on my part. I thought I was getting grilled artichoke hearts, but instead I got a half of a grilled artichoke, that was very difficult to eat. 




The dessert was a nice ending to the meal. My girlfriend and I decided to split the banana crepe with peanut butter sauce, passion fruit puree, and root beer sorbet. It was a very good crepe. The peanut butter sauce was delicious, and I was obsessed with the root beer sorbet. It reminded me of the root beer popsicles I used to have as a kid. The dessert could have been helped by a few more slices of banana, but overall it was pretty tasty. 





Devon Seafood Grill is a pretty cool place to eat in the city. It’s a great place to get seafood in the city, far away from the water of the Jersey shore, which depending on where you are from is either a good thing or a bad thing. I would definitely recommend Devon to anyone looking for a good seafood meal in the city as they are definitely one of the best around. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers