Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives Tour of Baltimore...

Brick Oven Pizza
800 S. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231

A few months ago my girlfriend and I were at a charity event, and she happened to win a one night stay at a hotel in downtown Baltimore, so we decided to use that for a fun filled weekend getaway recently. I had a great idea while planning it out based on my knowledge from watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Guy has gone there to do shows many times, so we planned out all of the places that we would be eating our meals as places that he visited on the show. I was really excited about the whole trip, so when we got down there on Friday after we finished work, we headed right to Brick Oven Pizza in the Fells Point area of Baltimore.



As soon as we walked in we noticed that it was a total dive. It wasn’t completely a dive, but it definitely wouldn’t be a place I would just walk into off the street based on looks. They had an awesome mural on the wall, and a huge poster signed by Guy from his visit with the show. We ordered the just about everything pizza, which came topped with onions, mushrooms, green peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, cherry peppers, pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, salami, and mozzarella cheese, and then we sat down and enjoyed the cream soda we decided to split while we waited for our pizza to come out. The cream soda was scrumptious! I had never seen it before, but it was really sweet and creamy, and it had the perfect amount of carbonation. 




The pizza came out nice and hot, and I thought it was really fantastic. Although I did think there was a little bit too much going on with all of the toppings on it, I still thought the flavor was really good. I do agree with my girlfriend who mentioned that there wasn’t enough cheese on it for her taste. I think that might have something to do with the fact that there were so many toppings on it that there really wasn’t enough room for the cheese, but that doesn’t really matter at this point. The best part of the pizza was the crust. It was really phenomenal. I believe that they had rolled it in some cornmeal before they baked it, because it cracked and crunched in an incredible fashion with each and every bite.

Overall I thought the pizza was very good at Brick Oven Pizza. It was a very different style. A kind of hybrid between a New York-style thin crust and a traditional, fluffier dough. The sauce was great, zesty and tangy, but the cheese situation could definitely have been improved. Check it out if you get the chance to go down to Baltimore! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers