Thursday, October 18, 2012

Grilled Cheeses and Bomb Desserts...



The Pop Shop
729 Haddon Avenue
Collingswood, NJ 08108

My girlfriend and I had a movie date one night here in Jersey when we went to see the Vow, and on our way back to the train station, I decided to take her to the Pop Shop in Collingswood because it had been a pretty long time since we had been there. If you don’t know anything about the Pop Shop I will tell you some background. I first found out about it on the Food Network because it was one of the places that Bobby Flay visited during his show Throwdown. They specialize in grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream, so naturally I love the place. I decided to try something new this time around and I ordered the Sunset, a grilled cheese with jack cheese, fried shrimp, avocado, and tomatillo on sourdough bread. My girlfriend and I also split a basket of fries.


I was a little weary of the mixture of shrimp and cheese, but I was wowed by the way the sandwich came together. Each and every element in and of itself was delicious and could be tasted separately, but they also all melded together perfectly in each and every bite. The creaminess of the avocado, with the crispiness of the fried shrimp, the crunch from the bread and the sharp contrast of the slight tang from the jack cheese, left me wanting more with each and every bite I took.




The fries were pretty tasty as well. You could definitely tell that they were homemade, but I think they could have done a better job seasoning them. We tried their homemade chipotle ketchup, and I was less than impressed with it. It was more of a chipotle sauce than a chipotle ketchup and I much preferred the Heinz with the fries.



Unfortunately it was still Lent when we visited the Pop Shop, so I couldn’t indulge in one of their delicious desserts, but you should try one when you go out there to get yourself a grilled cheese! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers