Thursday, October 25, 2012

Unlimited Flavor...



Seafood Unlimited
270 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

My girlfriend and I always enjoy eating with other couples or just friends, so when we had plans to go out with her friend from work and her boyfriend, we were both pretty excited about it. Since it was still Lent, we decided to go out to a fish place, Seafood Unlimited in the Rittenhouse area. None of us had ever been there before, so I was hoping that it turned out to be good.



I was pretty appalled and embarrassed when we got there that we had to wait almost an hour to be seated. What is the point of making a reservation if the restaurant isn’t going to honor it? While I understand that things happen and 15 to 20 minutes to wait isn’t so bad, an hour is simply ridiculous. That being said, once we were seated, the meal changed the mood that we were all in.



They kept the fish in a cooler up front, so you could tell how fresh it was. They cut it fresh to order whenever someone orders their meals, which I thought was pretty cool. We put in our orders, sat back, and enjoyed some good conversation.



They were offering a special soup of the day that was chipotle sweet potato bisque. It sounded delicious to me, and it tasted just the same when I got it. However, I don’t know that I would have called it a bisque. To me a bisque is a cream based soup, and this was merely a thick puree of sweet potatoes and chipotles. However, it was delicious none the less.



My girlfriend had ordered the fried calamari as her appetizer, and I had the pleasure of tasting them as well. They were super crunchy and fried, while still remaining light and delicious. 



I had ordered trout for dinner, but the waitress messed up my order and I wound up with salmon instead. Other than her blunder, everything was amazingly good. The salmon was cooked wonderfully. It had an incredibly crunchy exterior for salmon. The meat inside was cooked perfectly and was moist and flavorful. It was served over a bed of pearled couscous and some bok choy. The whole meal was really quite delicious.

I am not really sure how to recommend Seafood Unlimited. On one hand, it was inexcusable how they treated us when we walked in. We waited for over an hour to be seated, and they did nothing to try to make us feel better or rectify the situation. On the other hand, the food was fresh and delicious. I guess the food is really the draw, especially in a place of only about 20 seats, so go ahead and give it a try and I hope you have better service than we did. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers