Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dog is Man's Best Friend...



Good Dog Bar
224 South 15th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

One night during the spring, my girlfriend and I had plans to go out of the city one Friday night for dinner because the Main Line was offering its restaurant week. I had found a place that I thought the deal was worth it, and we were all set to go. That was before we went to get in her car and realized it was nowhere in sight. We wound up reporting it stolen and spending a large portion of the evening talking to an officer of the Philadelphia police department. Once he finally left, we walked over to a nearby place called Good Dog Bar. It had been featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Drives and was high on my list of places to try in the city, so I actually was pretty excited about it even after dealing with the events that transpired prior in the evening.



They took us up to a table on the second floor when we went in, so we sat down and ordered a few beers to decompress. The walls are covered in pictures of dogs and things related to dogs, so the theme really comes through. It’s definitely a dive bar, but it is really a pretty awesome place; the kind of place that I really identify with and enjoy. While we sipped our beers, we ordered a buffalo shrimp po’ boy and the good dog burger and sat back and waited with rumbling stomachs. 



When the food came out, we were more than impressed with both of our meals. We immediately realized why it had been featured on Diners…because the food was fantastic! The buffalo shrimp po’ boy was a completely different spin on a classically southern sandwich. The buffalo sauce added another depth of flavor that a traditional po’ boy doesn’t have. The shrimp were ridiculously crunchy, and the spice of the buffalo sauce really kicked them up another notch. 



The good dog burger elevated my taste buds to yet another level I didn’t know they had. The ½ pound burger was cooked to medium perfection, and smothered with Roquefort cheese and caramelized onions. I added the deliciousness that is applewood smoked bacon to my burger as well. Each and every bite had a salty taste, creaminess, and crunch factor to it, making it a pretty perfect burger in my opinion. The fries served with the sandwiches were nothing to be forgotten. They were a mixture of sweet potato and regular fries that were also a nice mixture of crunchy and soft. The aioli that they were served with was creamy and rich, and added the perfect bit of deliciousness to each and every bite. 



You all know that my girlfriend and I can’t give up the opportunity to order dessert when we have the chance, so we ordered the kitchen sink bars to share. There literally was everything in these bars but the kitchen sink, so I completely understand why they were named the way they were. They had almonds, chocolate, peanuts, wafer, and caramel just to name some of the ingredients. They were incredibly delicious and the perfect size for dessert. We polished off all three pieces in mere moments, and were completely satisfied when we were done.



Three and a half pints for Good Dog. Spectacular bar food, and really good service, with a quirky ambiance is always a home run in my book. I can’t wait to go back to Good Dog sometime soon. It really is a fantastic bar and restaurant and the vibe and atmosphere is wonderful. You should go as soon as possible for a casual meal with high class food for a damn good price. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers