Monday, September 29, 2014

Inconsistencies are Brutal...


Supper 
926 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

I have been here twice now and I've realized a few things about my meals here. Incosistencies are abundant. There are standout dishes, and there are not so good ones. The cocktails are all pretty good from my experience so far. We took my future mother in law here for brunch and I really enjoyed the place. I thought it would be a bit more full for brunch, but it was nice to have the ability to not have to shout to speak at each other. The service was pretty good. The food was delicious for the most part. The portions are enormous. My fiance and I split the bacon babka and the hoboken benny. I thought both were spot on. I really loved the hoboken benny. The use of the smoked mozzerella was delicious. I cant not love pork roll coming from Jersey. The flavor of the bacon babka was rich and incredibly balanced. It was salty and sweet, moist and flavorful. My only problem was the bottom was fairly burnt, so it made cutting and eating a bit of a challenge. I would go back just for the bacon babka alone. It was sinfully good. They had a pretty good bloody mary too. It was a great brunch experience, but our dinner the second time around didn’t fare so well.





There are so many things that I want to love about this place, but they never all seem to fall in line. I will definitely say I like it a lot more for brunch than I did when I went for dinner. There always seems to be great choices on the menu, but for me they just dont execute them the way I wish they would have. We had a gilt city gift certificate for the tasting menu, so we were able to choose one item from each from each area of the menu in addition to dessert. We started with a couple of cocktails, the Mad About Saffron and the and Brooklyn Roads. Both were awesome, the Mad About Saffron had gin, homemade apricot saffron ginger marmalade, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, cider and the Brooklyn Roads had rye whiskey, maraschino liqueur, lillet and orange bitters. We were off to a good start, and we ordered the smoked wings, fried pickles, heirloom tomato gazpacho, heirloom tomato and watermelon salad, shrimp and grits and duck and waffles.





As the food starting coming out, things started to become hit or miss. Our service was great. He wasnt the most attentive guy I have ever had, but he was good. The wings and the pickles came out first. The wings failed miserably, but the fried pickles were decent. The wings were smoked nicely, but the glaze was really offputting. They were cloyingly sweet, and the sauce was too bitter. The touch of hot sauce on it was nice, but not nearly enough to jazz up the wings. I prefer fried pickle chips as opposed to spears, but these were actually really good. They came with a pimento cheese sauce underneath that was creamy and just enough spicy to round out the taste nicely. 






Next up were the gazpacho and the the salad both made with heirloom tomatoes, and both needed some improvements. The gazpacho was my preference of the two, even though the goat cheese flavor overpowered the delicate tomato flavor. The salad just wasnt very good. Everything was really bitter, and while the tomatoes were beautiful and delicious, everything just didnt seem to work together in the salad.




The main courses fared a little bit better. The shrimp and grits was flavorful and rich as I have come to know it to be. The sauce was sweet and spicy, very flavorful. The grits were a little clumpy, but overall not bad. The duck and waffles was both good and bad. The flavor of the duck confit was delicious. It was super tender and moist. I had to pull the rubbery exterior skin off though. I would have preferred it to be crispy, but maybe thats just me. The waffles were very good. They were savory, nothing like waffles you got for breakfast. I didnt get much sage though.





Dessert was a complete fail for me. The cobbler I had was so completely overpowered by the goat cheese ice cream that I could pretty much taste nothing else. It didn't complement the fruit well at all. The chocolate cookie plate my fiancé had was very lackluster as well.




Two and a half pints for Supper. I'll be back for brunch, but I'll go elsewhere for dinner. Like I said there is so many things I want to love about this place, but right now there are just better options out there in the city. Go for a drink or a boozy brunch and it'll be worth it. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers