Thursday, April 9, 2015

Not Missing Much...



The Mildred
824 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

I had heard a lot of great things about The Mildred before our visit, so I was really looking forward to it. My fiance and I visited on a Saturday morning for brunch, and there wasnt a ton going on inside. There were only a few people there when we got there, so we were seated immediately. Looking over the menu, the options were definitely upscale brunch items, but it was definitely still approachable food for the less adventurous. We decided to go with our usual brunch strategy of a sweet dish and a savory dish and split them both.



I hadnt been feeling great prior to us going here, so we decided not to eat anything particularly heavy. We ordered the ricotta pancake with lemon curd and the scrambled eggs with prawns, harissa and rosti potato. My fiance also ordered a bourbon based cocktail that was very tasty. We also were talked into starting with the soon to be famous biscuit, which didnt quite live up to its name. Unlike most biscuits I have found in the area, this one was too far to the opposite side of the spectrum. Usually they are dry or overcooked, or were simply kneaded too much. This was the exact opposite. It was very moist which was great, but it literally fell apart at each touch. The flavor was good, but it just didnt hold up as a biscuit. I really liked the jam served with it though. 



The eggs and the harissa were very tasty. The rosti was overly oily for me. It wasn’t quite crisp enough on the exterior, almost as though it had been sitting in the oil it was cooked in. The prawns were pretty good, but I just dont know that they paired very well with the eggs. The parts were definitely better than its sum in the case of this dish.  The pancake, which literally was one humongous pancake served in a cast iron skillet, was good, but again nothing to rave about here. If I didnt know there was ricotta in it, I would have been hard pressed to tell. It didn’t have any kind of ricotta flavoring to it, and it didn’t seem to be any lighter than a normal pancake. The lemon curd on top was great, but I definitely could have used more of it to really give the pancake that lemon flavoring. 



Two pints for the Mildred. I was both a little surprised and not so surprised to hear earlier this week that the Mildred had closed after our recent visit. Surprised because a lot of people seemed to like the place, but not surprised based on our experience and the lack of traffic we saw in there when we went.  I never like to see restaurants go, so I was sad to hear of its closing. I definitely would have liked to give it another chance to see how it was. O well, I am sure the owner and chef will pop up again soon. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers