Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Wicked Good Brunch...



Russell House Tavern
14 John F. Kennedy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

My aunt and uncle and my fiance and I went here when we were all in Boston for my baby bro's graduation from college. My aunt and uncle were more than a little frazzled when they arrived because of the tough time they had finding parking in Cambridge, but their refusal to take the T in was their own problem to deal with! Ha We walked in and were told a 15 minute wait, but really we were seated pretty much immediately.




The place looks deceptively small from the outside, but when you get inside, you realize there is tons of room, and then even more downstairs! They had tons of great menu options to choose from for brunch. I wasnt going to order a cocktail, but my aunt beat me to it, so we followed her lead and ordered some bloody marys. It was a solid effort bloody mary with a good kick, but nothing too special about it. For food my fiance and I went our usual route and ordered a sweet dish and a savory dish and split them. I was really intrigued by the anti eggs benedict, a dish complete with fried poached eggs, yes I said fried, local english muffin, sausage, spinach, hollandaise and homefries. We also ordered the stuffed nutella french toast, topped with caramelized bananas and hazelnuts.




Our service was pretty good considering how crowded the place was. Our waitress was very attentive, and she brought out our food rather quickly. Everything looks excellent and we dug in immediately. My plate really looked awesome. For the most part everything was great. My only issue was with the fried poached eggs. The frying had clearly overcooked the yolks a little bit because they were not runny at all. That being said, a fried, poached egg is a revelation for me. Never had it before, and it is damn tasty. I thought the sausage and and spinach could have used a touch of seasoning, but they went well with the hollandaise and my oh my the english muffin was stellar. I have always wanted to try one that wasnt made by Thomas' and this one did not disappoint. It had that chew you look for from an English muffin and that amazing flavor as well. The potatoes were a very nice addition as well, and while they could have been a bit hotter and crispier, they were still on point.




The nutella french toast was awesome. While I think they could have put a bit more nutella inside, the flavor was remarkable. The textural and taste comarison of the toasted hazelnuts, vs the bruleed bananas and the toast itself was superb. Nutella is amazing on anything, and it did not disappoint here. It was very rich, but perfect to be shared after the savory portion of the meal. 



Three and a half pints for the Russell House Tavern. The brunch fare that they were offering was fantastically executed. They had a really nice selection of beers and cocktails, and the place was simply enormous. It is definitely a place worth of checking out if you are in the Boston area. Check it out and let me know! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers