Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Flawed French...



Bistro de Paris
310 Ave José De Diego
San Juan, 00920, Puerto Rico

My fiance, her parents and I headed here after we tried to go to Jose Enrique for dinner but were not really excited to have to wait 2 hours to be seated. I was kind of surprised it was so crowded on a Tuesday evening, but we decided to move on to another place around the Corner called Bistro de Paris. 



The feeling of the place was spectacular. It whisked me away to a Parisian state of mind. The menu was entirely in French and Spanish, so if you didnt speak or read either it would have been a bit of a challenge, but it was fun nonetheless. They had a ton of great traditional French dishes to choose from. We started out with the country pork terrine, and then I ordered the Bœuf bourguignon, or red wine braised beef short ribs, while my fiance order seared scallops in a cream curry sauce.




The country pork terrine was absurdly delicious. They served it in a traditional French style with the terrine on bottom, and a layer of creamy fat on top. Getting a bit of each and smearing it on the baguette provided with an additional kiss of mustard and a cornichon pickle, left me in a state of euphoria. Damn that was good.




Unfortunately though, my main course and dessert didnt measure up to the terrine. The sauce on my beef was fantastic, but the texture wasnt right. It was chewy, and definitely not in a good way. The flavor of the sauce was rich and fantastic though. The mac and cheese on the side was stellar. I dont know what kind of cheese they used, but it had a really nutty flavor to it, and it was scolding hot the entire meal. My fiance's scallop dish however was outstanding. The scallops were seared so deeply that they had begun to crack like ice, and the creamy curry sauce they were served with only enhanced the flavor of the entire dish. I dont normally think of curry in French cuisine, but this was a spectacular use of it.





The dessert was pretty forgettable all together. I ordered a flourless chocolate cake that was very rich, but very bitter and very dry. I really wasnt a fan to be honest. I was really excited about the tarte tatin, but when it came out it didnt really measure up to others I have had. The apples were very thick and they made it difficult to eat. I didnt really enjoy their texture either as they were very mushy.

Two and a half pints for Bistro de Paris. There were definitely a few ups and downs, but I think this place is worth a visit for sure. I would go back alone for the country pork terrine! Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers