Monday, June 27, 2011

Best of Philly Reviewed

Blackfish Restaurant
119 Fayette Street
Conshohocken, PA 19428

The same day that I had my Pho experience, I had dinner reservations with my girlfriend in Conshohocken, PA at a restaurant called Blackfish. This restaurant had a lot of buzz around it because of Philly magazine’s choice to rank it as the number one place to eat right now in Philly. We were both very interested to put it to the test, so we headed there during the Main Line’s restaurant week.

The chef at Blackfish worked at both Le-Bec-Fin and Vetri, two of the best restaurants in the area, so we knew that the food was going to be good. On our walk in we noticed that the restaurant is very beautifully decorated and we took our seats with great anticipation.

You could order an appetizer, entrĂ©e, and dessert for 50 dollars, or order off their usual menu, which is set up very similarly to Le-Bec-Fin’s in that they offer 5 and 7 course tasting menus for a pre-set price. We simply ordered off of the restaurant week menu which meant that we ordered 6 total dishes; yellowtail kingfish, shashimi style, with radish, yuzu and orange; smoked salmon with a deep friend egg, potato crisp and microgreens; skate wing with lentils, frisee salad, and cracked mustard jus; chicken poulard with quinoa, white asparagus, and fava beans; and the two dessert courses, a flourless choclate cake with vanilla gelato, and a semi frozen white chocolate with pistachios, whipped ricotta, and preserved lemons.

Both fish dishes were very good. Mine was particularly good because of the taste that was brought by the smokiness of the salmon. The deep fried egg paired way better with the salmon than I thought that it would. The runniness of the yolk paired perfectly with the fish because it allowed me to use the salmon to soak up all of the yolk.



My next dish was the skate wing served over lentils with a cracked mustard jus. It was really fantastic! I had never had skate wing before and was surprised that it tasted a bit like sea scallops, but it was very tasty. The crispy skin on the outside gave a nice texture contrast to the flaky skate wing. The lentils were cooked perfectly as well, but the best part of the dish was the mustard jus. It had so much flavor and it was mustardy and gravy-like in the same instance! It was so amazing!




The dessert that I had was incredibly well done as well. The white chocolate was cold and creamy, and the crushed pistachios on top added a texture contrast as well as a touch of saltiness that was very welcomed.




Blackfish really might be the best place to eat in Philly right now. I have not eaten at enough places to really make my own decision, but I can tell you that I liked the food better there than I did at Le-Bec-Fin, and I promise you I will continue trying new places to find "the best restaurant in Philadelphia". Blackfish is definitely worth a try if you are in the Conshohocken area, so get out there and try it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers