Saturday, June 25, 2011

OPA!!

Lourdas Greek Taverna
50 N. Bryn Mawr Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

I had been having a difficult couple of weeks when I went out to eat because I gave up red meat for Lent, but it was never harder than it was when my girlfriend and I went out to eat at a restaurant in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania for Greek food. Greek restaurants always offer incredible lamb dishes, and it was even more difficult for me when my girlfriend ordered the lamb shank special that they offered on the evening that we went. The lamb shank looked incredibly delicious and my girlfriend said it was melt of the bone tender, but I persevered however and ordered the shrimp lourdas, the signature dish of the restaurant.



The restaurant was decorated in such a way that made it feel like you were dining in a restaurant on the shores of Greece. There were pictures all over the walls of Greece. It was beautifully decorated on the inside. We were very excited to try everything as we enjoyed the wine that we brought with us.

The appetizer that we split was a tasting plate called Pikilia. It included dolmades, which are stuffed grape leaves, tzatziki, which is a creamy cucumber dip, melitzanosalata, which is an eggplant dip similar to babaganoosh, and a Greek caviar spread called taramosalata. Every dip was very good. They served them all with pita bread, and they each paired very well with the dips. The tzatziki was creamy and full of garlic flavor. The melizanosalata was extremely flavorful as well. The eggplant flavor really showed at the forefront and it was the perfect addition to the pieces of warm pita. The most interesting and my favorite dip though was the taramosalata. It had a hummus-like texture but with bolder, saltier flavor.



My main course was simply phenomenal. The shrimp lourdas was sautéed shrimp with scallions, parsley, tomatoes, garlic, and feta cheese served over orzo and a white wine sauce. The shrimp were some of the most perfectly cooked shrimp I have ever had. They were super tender and very large, the perfect combination of sweetness to mesh with the saltiness of the cheese and the white wine sauce. I sopped up every bite of this dish, and I would order it again and again.

For dessert we split an order of baklava and I was very happy with it. The phyllo dough was very crispy, and the filling was super sweet and had just enough flavor to bring the whole dessert together.



Traditional Greek food is really a wonderful treat. When it is done right it really can change they way you feel about certain ingredients and meals. If you are looking for authentic Greek food in a great atmosphere, go try Lourdas in Bryn Mawr and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers