Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Negative for Nunzio's

Nunzio's Ristorante Rustico
706 Haddon Avenue
Collingswood, NJ 08108

All week long before I went to Nunzio’s in Collingswood, people had been telling me how good it was. Everyone that I talked to said that it was a great meal and that I would love it. A restaurant has to mess up pretty bad to make me unhappy, and that was not the case Nunzio’s, but I was definitely not as satisfied as I thought I would be. The meal as a whole was simply average at best, and for the price that my uncle paid for the meal, I definitely do not think it was worth it, but there were definitely some highlights.

The grilled calamari appetizer was not very good. The calamari had flavor, but it lacked texture and seasoning. My cousin’s tuna carpaccio was phenomenal though. I ordered the dover sole filleted tableside for my main course and I was extremely pleased about that. It was so tender and full of those typical Italian flavors: olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. It paired even better than I could have imagined with the Italian long hot peppers that I ordered as a side dish. They were fried to perfection, and their intense spice went together well with the mild, delectable flavor of the perfectly cooked sole. I also happened to try my cousin’s bronzino and it was good as well, but definitely not as good as La Locanda’s or Tre Famiglia’s.

The one star of the meal for me was the dessert that I ordered. I ordered a chocolate soufflé cake with strawberries and a vanilla gelato on top. The entire dessert was incredibly rich and decadent. The molten chocolate center oozed all over the plate and when it mixed together with the vanilla gelato, a match made in heaven was born.



Nunzio’s was an average meal for way too high of a price. I know that there is better Italian in the area because I have tasted it. Give Nunzio’s a try once if you really want to see for yourself, but you would be better served to go to Tre Famiglia or La Locanda for a cheaper and more delicious and authentic Italian meal. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers