Monday, May 13, 2013

Bangin Brunch Spot...



Sabrina’s Café
910 Christian Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

My girlfriend and I decided to walk around her new neighborhood to check it out. We walked over to a place called Sabrina's Café in the Italian Market neighborhood to grab some brunch on a Sunday morning. I had recently found a list compiled of about 50 brunch places in Philly. I love brunch, so this list has been gold to me. Sabrina's was one of the places listed on it, so we checked it off after eating there.



I ordered a coffee when I sat down because I saw that they served La Colombe coffee. It is a delicious brand of coffee, and they give you all you can drink coffee, so it was really worth it. They had some pretty awesome choices on their menu. Once I decided on mine, the Walt Jr's Cajun breakfast, I was pleased to see that my girlfriend ordered the other thing that I wanted, the stuffed challa French toast.



My meal was a full plate, with many different elements, all of which were very different, but went well together. It was two cheddar grit cakes with green onions, topped with scrambled eggs, andouille sausage, crawfish, peas, red beans and a red pepper hollandaise, and served with some breakfast potatoes. Each bite I had kicked me in the teeth with different flavors. The grit cakes were sort of sweet from the corn, but had some bite to them because of the green onions. The andouille sausage brought a kick from the spices and a heartiness to the dish. The crawfish were the real star of the dish, reminding me every time I bit into one that I was eating a creole dish. The thing that blew me away most in my dish was the red pepper hollandaise. It had all the characteristics of a good hollandaise; creamy, salty and luscious, but the red pepper completely changed the flavor in a good way. It was out of this world delicious. 



My girlfriend let me have a piece of hers, and damn was it tasty. Challah bread is dense and flavorful, the perfect bread to use for French toast. It was stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, cinnamon and bananas and then drenched in a bath of vanilla syrup. It was sweet, but not overpoweringly so. It still had a savory component to it because of the thickness of the bread, and I think that really prevented it from being too sweet. The bananas really brought the dish to another level, and the vanilla syrup was absolutely bomb.



4 extremely solid pints for Sabrina's. I was really blown away by the food and the atmosphere. I really cannot wait to go back. I still think about that french toast! Sabrina's is a really cool little place, and I'm sure its two other locations are just as amazing. I loved the food that we tried, and the feel that I got from the menu. I will definitely be making a return trip, so you should get out there and try it too! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers