Monday, May 6, 2013

Fiesta en mi Boca...



Las Bugambilias
148 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

My girlfriend and I have been scouting the area that she just moved to in Philly for some cool new places to try. One of those places happened to be a Mexican restaurant called Las Bugambilias. I had heard that it had very authentic delicious Mexican fare, so I was pretty excited to take her there. 


 

It was a little cramped in terms of seating when we got inside, but the vibe that I got as soon as we got inside was nothing but authenticity. We ordered a couple of margaritas to start, me a traditional one, and my girlfriend ordered a blueberry and pomegranate one. Both were very stiff drinks, but they were very well made and quite delicious. 



They took a little longer bringing out the chips and salsa than they should have, but I was appreciative that they did nonetheless. They brought them out with our appetizer, an order of tacos al pastor. I had been dying to try tacos al pastor for a long time, but whenever I go to Mexican restaurants, they never seem to have them on the menu. I devoured one and a half of these delicious traditional Mexican tacos and could have eaten about 10 more of them. The pork was tender and super flavorful from the marinade that they were covered in, and the pineapple that was dispersed throughout added an incredible boost of flavor from its sweetness and tartness. The chips and salsa were great as well, clearly made in house, with two different options of salsas to choose from. One was a chunkier version and a little bit more traditional, and other was a more blended version that was much, much spicier. 




When I looked at the menu, I knew that there was an item that both my girlfriend and I would like so I figured that one of us would order it. It was the cochinita pibil. My girlfriend wound up ordering the puntas nortenas, filet tips braised in a slightly spicy sauce and topped with Mexican cheeses. I was incredibly impressed with both dishes. The pork was incredibly well seasoned and melt in my mouth tender. It was shredded perfectly as well. It was accompanied by some tasty rice and awesome refried black beans. Her beef was also super tender and flavorful, and only enhanced by the piping hot melty cheese on top. I really enjoyed the incredible flavor that was provided by both dishes.




We decided to order a dessert; a lime tarta with a coconut crust. I am not usually the biggest proponent of coconut, but it actually worked really well in the dish because it was very subtle. The flavor wasn’t overpowering, but was a well-incorporated piece of the crust. The lime custard filling was pretty good, rich and creamy, but for my taste didn’t have enough of a bite from the lime flavor. It definitely could have used a bit more lime zest and juice to take it up another level.



Three and a half solid pints for Las Bugambilias. Excellent Mexican food for an affordable price is key here. I am looking forward to making frequent visits to Las Bugambilias with my girlfriend. It is close to her apartment, so its really easy to get to and they offer some incredibly delicious Mexican food. Get out and try it and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers