Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pastrami and Pickles...



F&M Delicatessen
3701 Church Road
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

My coworkers and I went out for a bite to eat on a Friday in September because we were looking for a good sandwich that you might traditionally find in a Jewish deli. I was really in the mood for a pastrami sandwich, so my coworkers to me to a place nearby that we could get one; F & M Delicatessen.

I don’t really think it was super traditional in terms of Jewish delis, but I was pretty happy with the result of my lunch. I ordered a pastrami sandwich on rye bread, and waited with great anticipation. They bring you a bowl of pickles for your table when you sit down in the dining room. The bowl consisted of gherkins, dill slices, and green tomatoes. All three were pretty solid pickles, but the green tomatoes were outstanding. They soaked up the vinegar so well, and exploded with flavor when you bit into them. I had never had a pickled green tomato before, but I will definitely be looking for them as often as I can now.



Nothing was really spectacular about any of the individual components of my sandwich, but put all together, it was a pretty nice combination. While I wish that the rye bread had been toasted, I still really enjoyed the flavor it provided to the sandwich, even though it was a little limp and made it difficult to keep the pastrami on the sandwich. The addition of spicy brown mustard added another element that is necessary for a great pastrami sandwich. Then we come to the pastrami itself. Great crust and super tender, it wasn’t too fatty, so in my opinion it was pretty spot on. 



Two and a half pints for F&M Delicatessan. Little aspects of the food could be improved in my opinion to bring it up to another level, but they are still cranking out some solid pastrami. I wasn’t overly full when I left F & M, so I think it was a pretty successful visit. Sometimes pastrami sandwiches can be really heavy and greasy, but this wasn’t the case at F & M. I will be making a return trip whenever I am craving Jewish deli classics at work. Give it a try if you are in the area and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers