Monday, May 27, 2013

Smoke and Mirrors...



Henri's Hotts BBQ
1003 Black Horse Pike
Hammonton, NJ 08037

I had heard about a barbeque joint in Hammonton that was supposed to be pretty good, and since I work there once a week or so, I told my friend that works there that we should try it the next time I was down there. It was hard for us to work it out because they only actually wound up being open from Thursday to Sunday. I planned out my last visit to be on a Thursday, and come lunch time we set out to see what the good word was about.

It took us about 10 minutes to get there, and we were the only people there once we arrived. As soon as we stepped out of the car, we could smell the smoke erupting from the two smokers parked out front of the restaurant. It seemed like it was going to be pretty good, but I guess appearances aren’t always what they seem. 



My buddy ordered a half rack of ribs, and I ordered a pulled pork platter with fries and onion rings so we could try both of the things they "won" competitions for. I say "won" because there is no way that the food that was put in front of us would have won a competition anywhere in our opinions. 



The ribs weren’t very good. They weren’t cooked to the proper temperature, and they left the silver skin on. It made the ribs completely unappetizing. The meat was ok and had some smoke flavor to them, but that’s about all that was good about them. I was really appalled that they left the silver skin on the bottom of the ribs on. Gross.



My pulled pork wasn’t very good either. While it had nice smoke to it, and the bits of bark were nice, the pork itself again hadn’t been cooked long enough, and lacked that melt in my mouth consistency that I was looking for. It left the pork stringy and chewy and pretty hard in some places. I was so disappointed because I have become obsessed with BBQ in recent years, and you just can't find good BBQ around here very often. The best part of the meal was the onion rings. They were crispy as can be, the batter held on to the onions really well, and we made them disappear very quickly.

One pint for Henri's Hotts. The bbq really missed the mark in my opinion, and I was severely disappointed because I was hoping to find a real gem when I went. After all that I had read about it, I thought that it was going to be amazing. People made it sound like it was the best place they had ever eaten at in the reviews, but if that’s true, then they really don’t get out much. Maybe they just had a bad day, but when you are only open four days a week, you should be able to get it right on those days, or there goes your money. I wouldn’t waste my time with trying Henri's Hotts, but of course you can and let me know if you have the same experience that I did. It is worth the trip over the bridge to get yourself some real deal barbeque. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers