Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hazards Everywhere...

Medford Village Country Club
1 Golfview Drive
Medford, NJ 08055

It has become a tradition of my family to go to Medford Village Country Club on Mother’s Day for brunch. We usually go with my grandpa, his wife, and my family. Usually they offer a complete brunch buffet, but this year they changed it up a bit by offering an appetizer and dessert buffet, and you had a choice of what you would like your entrĂ©e to be. I chose the duck breast served with white beans and escarole salad and sausage, and then I dove into the appetizer and salad buffet.

My girlfriend and I split a cup of chicken pastini, a salad topped with fresh balls of mozzarella, fresh calamari salad, cucumbers, grilled vegetables, and salami, and a wasabi crabcake.




The soup happened to be my favorite item from the start of the meal. It had a fantastic tomato broth, and the chicken and vegetables were extremely tender and delicious. The crabcake was pretty good, but the wasabi sauce that was drizzled on top of it was described as “grainy” by my girlfriend and I would have to agree with her. Had it been smooth and creamy, it would have been a much more successful dish. The salad was very well done as well. All of the separate items were fantastically prepared, and the freshness was certainly noticeable.

My main course was a smorgasbord of items, not all of which seemed to fit together. I really enjoyed my first experience eating duck breast. It was cooked perfectly to medium doneness and the seasoning was on point. However the white bean puree that was supposed to come with my meal was simply cooked white beans, and the sausage mixed in with the escarole was kind of pointless. While the white beans were cooked perfectly and were very tasty, I was disappointed that they were not in puree form. Also, the escarole was very good, but the sausage did not really fit into the rest of the dish. It simply felt like chunks of sausage were cooked and thrown in to the cooked escarole. If the escarole had been cooked in the sausage drippings, or the sausage had been stuffed in the duck breast, the dish would have been much more cohesive and successful.



The dessert was by far the best part of the meal. As you can see below, there was quite a few choices on the dessert table including, key lime shots, peanut butter cup shots, carrot cake, peanut butter rice krispie treats, and much, much more! I love the little dessert shots because they are the perfect size and they allow you to try many different things. My favorites were the key lime and the peanut butter rice krispie treat. Both were perfectly sweet and had different elements of crunch. The crust for the key lime was amazing, and the crispy nature of the rice krispie treat under the chocolate coating was a wonderfully hidden surprise.



I am still a bit weary to suggest Medford Village as a place to try. I am not even sure if you can eat there if you are not a member, but I have had very mixed feelings about it each and every time that I have dined there. Even if you had a choice I would have to stay away from telling you to try it simply because of the lack of consistency in my experiences. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers