Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unexpected Awesomeness

Cooperage Wine and Whiskey Bar
123 South 7th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

My favorite way to find a new restaurant is to have no intention of going out to eat, and then suddenly deciding to get something to eat and having a really great experience at the place. I had just taken a section of the CPA exam, and my girlfriend had gotten out earlier than expected from hers, so we decided to grab a quick lunch at the bar in the Curtis Center called Cooperage. I had been eyeing this place each and every time that I have been to the Curtis Center for my CPA exams, and I was very happy that I had the opportunity to try it.

The place was right up my alley. The menu looked phenomenal, and as soon as I walked into the bar, I could feel that it was my kind of place. The bar seemed awesome, the atmosphere was great, and did I mention that the menu is awesome? Haha I was so excited that they had a lunch special of half a soup or half a salad and half a sandwich. I decided on the soup of the day, the spicy pork tortilla, and the bbq pulled pork sandwich.



The water glasses at Cooperage were pretty awesome as well. It was served in a mason jar with a handle! The soup and the sandwich both came out at the same time. They also came with a side of coleslaw and potato chips. The soup was perfectly spicy and really well seasoned. The shredded pork was incredible in the broth, and the slightly soggy tortilla chip was a nice addition as well.




The pulled pork sandwich was in a world of its own. It had so much depth of flavor because of the simple yet variously diverse ingredients inside of it. The bread was brioche, soft and eggy. The pork had a bourbon barbeque sauce on it that made it sweet and tangy. The real kicker of the dish was the coleslaw. It was made with purple cabbage, and the dressing was incredible. I do not know what was in it, but it was perfect. I usually hate coleslaw, so to make me enjoy it as much as I did is a truly impressive feat.

Cooperage was really fantastic. I would go back in a heartbeat. The menu has so many different things on it that are super interesting. The new American design of the menu is incredible because so many of the dishes have been reinterpreted to offer a new feel. Check it out if you get the chance because it is really a hidden gem! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers