Sunday, September 25, 2011

Yet Another Ethnic Gem in Cherry Hill

Kuzina by Sofia
404 Route 70 West
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

Usually when I go out to eat with the guys from work, we find it difficult to pick a place to eat. It isn’t because of a lack of good choices in the area in which we go out, there are plenty, but it is because we are all incredibly indecisive. One particular day, I manned up and chose a Greek restaurant, Kuzina by Sofia, near our favorite Korean stop. It was a place that I had wanted to try for a while because I thought that it looked very authentic and the menu had many of my favorite Greek dishes on it.

I was really torn between two menu items, one of which was a lamb philly cheesesteak, believe me I will be trying it the next time I go. The item I ordered was new to me, but it sounded very delicious when described by our waitress, so I decided to try it.

I ordered the soutzoukaki soulvaki; a traditional Greek football shaped meatball made with lamb and beef, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic. I believe that they are usually stewed in tomato sauce, but these particular soutzoukaki were not. They were simply grilled and served in a warm pita with tzatziki, red onion and tomatoes and a side of French fries. The meatballs were packed to the gills with flavor! That is one of the reasons I love Greek food. They use the ingredients in each dish perfectly to make the flavor burst out of each and every bite. Who knew that the meatballs that I grew up eating could be so different with just a few special touches?



The wrap was a great change from a traditional sandwich. Pita bread is always in a world of its own when it comes to sandwiches. Tatziki is creamy and flavorful, and adds the perfect complement to any Greek sandwich. The crunch offered by the red onion and the charred outside of the meatballs was a fantastic texture contrast to bring the dish together nicely. I usually do not think of French fries as a Greek side dish, but these fries were a nice touch. They were crispy and salty, and there was just the right amount of them to go with the soulvaki.

Kuzina by Sofia is yet another hidden spot that you should get out and try. I have only been there once, but if the rest of the menu items are as good as mine was during this particular visit, I feel safe recommending it to all of you. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers