Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A BYOB Pub????



The British Chip Shop
146 Kings Highway East
Haddonfield, NJ 08033

My cousin and his wife have lived in the Collingswood area for many years now and have been scoping out the restaurant scene there over that time. They found some really awesome places in the area and then they usually either take us there or give us a gift card to visit on our own. For my last birthday, they gave me a gift card to try the British Chip Shop in Haddonfield, so my fiancé and I headed over there to grab some dinner on a Friday evening.



One of the best things about the Collingswood/Haddonfield restaurant scene is the BYOB option at most places in the area. The British Chip shop is one of those BYOB options, and although it would be nice to grab some pub fare and a Boddingtons there, its nice to not have to pay for marked up booze once in a while. We grabbed a six pack at a local liquor store before heading in, and we dove into those as we looked over the menu. I never get to eat British food, so I could not pass up the opportunity to have some bangers and mash. We had to taste the fish and chips, so my fiancé ordered the fish and salad and we split an order of the madras curry chips.




A lot of people don’t know that there is a lot of Indian influence in British cuisine because India used to be a British colony. The curry covered chips is one of the ways that it can be seen. The chips were covered with melted cheddar and madras curry and boy were they tasty. The chips were piping hot, and the curry sauce dumped over top was as well. It added a really nice curry flavor to the chips, without the heaviness that I have come to expect from Indian curry. I cant ever complain about cheese on fries, so the cheese on them was nice as well.




Our main courses were just as good as our appetizer. The fish was nice and crispy and although it was a little oily, it was still very tasty. The batter wasn’t super thick which was nice, because it made the fish feel a bit lighter than fried fish usually does. My bangers and mash were purely blissful. The sausages were incredibly fat and juicy and they had been roasted to an incredible level of crispiness on their exteriors. Pairing the sausages with the onion gravy and the buttery and smooth mashed potatoes was fantastic. The dish could not have been any better. It was the definition of comforting, and I would order it a hundred times over. 



For dessert, I allowed my fiancé to choose. I was really glad when she picked the option that had toffee in it. Toffee is used a lot in British desserts. The vanilla ice cream was topped with a rich and buttery toffee sauce as well as with peanuts and a crumble of some sort. I didn’t really like the chocolate cookies that were served with it. They looked a bit like biscottis, but they were kind of chalky and didn’t really have much flavor to them. I wish they had been better, because they would have made the dessert much better.



Three pints for the British Chip Shop. They savory part of our meal was really tasty, but unfortunately for me the dessert missed the mark a little bit. I love the fact that it is BYOB as well so they definitely get some points for that. They have some great menu options to choose from and the price point is pretty good, so check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers