Monday, June 16, 2014

Up to Snuff...



California Grill
13308 Long Beach Boulevard
Long Beach Township, NJ 08008

My fiancé and I were alone one weekend in LBI and since we got down there pretty late on Friday evening, we decided to run out and grab some dinner at a restaurant instead of cooking for the evening. We usually eat at a rotation of the same places with my family, so we decided to try a place we had never been before. The California Grill is one of the restaurants also run by the same family that runs Stefano's, a favorite of mine. 



They are famous for their clam chowder, so my fiancé and I ordered a bowl of it to split, and I ordered a meatball parmigiana sandwich for my dinner. The menu was traditional for a little Italian joint doing quick food, and it was much more casual than their upscale seafood restaurant Stefano's. 



I knew the chowder would be good because it is the recipe that they use when they go up to the world championships of clam chowder in Rhode Island and they have won first prize each year for the past three years. The chowder is simply unmatched. I have had chowder in Boston and Rhode Island, but never anything even remotely close to this. Its thick, but not too thick. Its creamy, but not too heavy. Best of all, it is loaded with clams. You really need to try it as soon as possible because it will change your life.




We should have ordered a cup of the clam chodwer and not a bowl because I was pretty full after my half of the bowl. I wanted to at least try my sandwich, so I was glad to see that it was cut in half when it arrived to the table. The Italian roll it was served on was toasted nicely, leaving each bite crunchy as can be. The meatballs were large and definitely homemade. They were very tasty, full of meat, and definitely not much filler. The spices were great inside of it, and the melted cheese and sauce combined on top made for a pretty tasty meatball parm sandwich.

Two and a half pints for California Grill. The price point is really good, and the quality of the food is up to the level that I expect from the people that run one of the best restaurants that I have ever been to. Its definitely worth a visit if you are looking for a quick bite, or simply a good meal at a great price point. Check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers