Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Who Wants a Mustache Ride???



Mustache Bill's Diner
8th Street
Barnegat Light, NJ 08006

There aren’t many places in LBI that we haven’t been to and really want to go, but one of those places was Mustache Bill's Diner in Barnegat Light. We never really get down to that side of the island because during the summer, it takes forever to get the 18 miles of driving out of the way to get there. We are almost completely on the other side so with the summer traffic and lights, it’s a hike. My fiancé had never been to that side of the island before, so we headed down there with my brother one Saturday morning to check them both out. 



After we went to the lighthouse, we headed in to Mustache's Bills to put our name in. We waited about 20 minutes before we were seated, which I thought was pretty good for LBI on a weekend in the summer. The menu wasn’t very big, so my decision was made rather quickly. I ordered the corned beef hash with two over easy eggs and hash browns and we sipped some coffee and waited. 



My brother had ordered the SOS (shit on a shingle) for all you military guys out there, also known as cream chipped beef, so I was really interested to try it. I had seen it on menus for years, but had never ordered it because of its nickname. When I tasted his plate I was very happy I had. It was very tasty. The gravy was really creamy and had a peppery flavor to it. The beef was so tender you didn’t need a fork to cut it. The whole thing was really rich, so I am glad I only got a few bites from him.



My breakfast was spot on. I love ordered corned beef hash, but I have definitely realized that I prefer to have my corned beef shredded and mixed amongst hash browns as opposed to being served with diced potatoes and minced corned beef. The flavor was really good though so I can't complain about that. The eggs were cooked perfectly and I used the delicious rye bread to sop up as much of the yolks as I could. The hash browns did not come out like I asked and I was pretty upset about that. I always order my hash browns extra crispy, but these were barely even considered crispy.



Two pints for Mustache Bills. The price point is definitely right on for diner fare, and they know their audience. The food is solid, but it definitely wasn’t anything spectacular. I was hoping for a bit more, but I know I expect a lot some times. Its definitely worth a visit if you are in the area because its cheap and good food, so check it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers