Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fantastic French in Coconut Grove

Le Bouchon du Grove
3430 Main Highway
Coconut Grove, FL 33133

Over the summer traveled to Miami for the weekend because my girlfriend’s niece was being baptized. We mostly ate in the house for the weekend, but one night my girlfriend, her dad and I headed down to Coconut Grove to go to their favorite French restaurant in Miami called Le Bouchon du Grove. I love French food, and I do not get to eat it very often, so I was very excited to try it. 




As soon as we got there I realized how good it must be. All of the tables were full, and there was a line of people waiting to sit down. We actually got a table pretty quickly, and sat down in the middle of the restaurant. The meal really started on a high note when we were brought our complimentary champagne. Yes, every table gets complimentary champagne when they sit down and are ready to order. My girlfriend’s father was raving about the escargot, so we ordered some. I also ordered the Papillote Marseilles, and for dessert a flourless chocolate cake.

While we were waiting for our food to come out, the music in the restaurant started blaring through the speakers. We all looked at each other like what the heck is going on here? It got louder and louder, and then people started clapping. The waiters came out of the back in droves and then someone in the kitchen started ringing a large bell over and over again to the beat of the song. Just then the waiters started singing happy birthday to someone while the music continued blaring and everyone continued clapping. It was so awesome, but I can only imagine how embarrassing it was for the person whose birthday it was. 



The first thing out was the escargot. Upon first taste I was in a state of complete bliss. I have never tasted something so uniquely delicious in my entire life. The snails were ridiculously tender, and steaming hot from start to finish. The garlic and herb butter that they were served in was so good that I could have drunk it!







My main course was very delicious as well. En Papillote is a French cooking technique in which food is folded into a pouch or pocket and then baked. My Papillote Marseilles included snapper, salmon, sea bass, tuna, mussels, and clams cooked in a saffron broth with potatoes. All of the items were incredibly delicious. The saffron broth was to die for, and the fish and shellfish were all fantastically tender. Again the food was piping hot from start to finish, and the flavor was really on another level. 





The flourless chocolate cake was pretty good as well. I was expecting a bit more since the rest of the meal was so phenomenal, but the chocolate cake was still pretty well done. It was super rich, the way it should be, and the crème anglaise that it was served with was delightful.

I would go to Le Bouchon over and over again if I could. I will definitely be going back the next time I am in Miami, and I will tell anyone who will listen that it is truly fantastic. Get down to Miami and try it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers