Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Diner Dining at its Finest

Red Lion Diner
Rt. 70 Circle
Medford, NJ 08055

Growing up in New Jersey taught me a lot about diners considering it is the diner capital of the world. After hockey games on Saturdays and Sundays, my team would eat at any and every diner in the Jersey area. Many people that have not experienced diner dining think that it is just cheap food. Those people are wrong. Diner food is sophisticated and unique and it is truly a wonderful thing to experience.

On a Sunday a few weeks ago, my family and I went to one of our favorite diners, the Red Lion Diner, for Sunday dinner. Back in the days of hockey games and eating at diners almost every weekend, I did not have the food appreciation that I have now. When we went to the diner on Sunday, I looked at the menu with my new perspectives, and I saw some things that I never even would have glanced twice at before. I ordered the Louisiana tuna with sides of potato salad and asparagus with hollandaise sauce.

The tuna was unlike any tuna I have ever had, but in a good way. It was crusted in a homemade bread shavings and potato crust that was mixed with creole mustard. The saltiness and crunch of the crust was a great pairing for the tuna, and the smear of cocktail sauce over top was the final ingredient that rounded out the dish in amazing fashion.

The potato salad was very well done as well. The potatoes were soft and tender, and the mayo and seasonings enhanced their flavor the way a great potato salad should. The asparagus was good as well, but I could have done without the hollandaise. It simply was not as rich as it should have been, and it did not add a whole lot to the flavoring of the asparagus.

The Red Lion Diner has been one of my favorite diners for a very long time. Not many people outside of the Medford area know about, but now that you do, you should get out and try it whenever you can! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers