Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Vegetarian Surprise...

Milah Vegetarian
218 South 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

My girlfriend’s family came to visit Philadelphia on their way back to the Middle East and France. So I spent some time with them in the city, and I met them for lunch one day at a vegetarian restaurant in Rittenhouse Square called Milah Vegetarian. I never thought that I would eat at a purely vegetarian restaurant, but my girlfriend’s sister was really looking forward to this place so I went in with an open mind.

They offer a pretty good deal; three courses for the price of an entrée, usually in the neighborhood of 10-15 dollars. I decided on getting the roasted asparagus soup, the spring roll, and the tacos made with seitan. 



When the soup came out I was really impressed. First of all, I never thought to make a soup out of asparagus, but this soup was really something else. The charred flavor of the asparagus really came through, and the seasoning of the soup was perfectly salty and rich due to the addition of a touch of truffle oil. The texture was incredibly velvety, and I devoured each and every bite. The spring roll was pretty good, not the best I’ve ever had, but definitely not bad. 




The tacos were just as impressive as the soup. I had never even heard of seitan before this visit to the restaurant, but it was incredibly delicious. I don’t know how they prepared it, but it was so similar to seasoned ground beef that it was almost impossible to tell the difference. I added a touch of lime juice to each taco for a bit of citrus to give it some depth, and I could not have been more pleased at then end of the meal.

I know a lot of people out there shy away from vegetarian restaurants and dishes, and I know I used to be one of them, but I have to admit that I am converted. I was very impressed with Milah and for the price that I paid I could not have been more pleased. Definitely give it a shot if you are in the area! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers