Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mexican Fiesta...

Los Amigos
461 Route 73 North
Berlin, NJ 08091

My cousin had his 31st birthday a few weeks ago, and he wanted to make a trip to a restaurant called Los Amigos which is located in Berlin, New Jersey. I had passed this restaurant 1000 times, but I had never thought to try it. I heard from multiple people that had been there that it was quite good, so I was pretty excited to try it.

When we got there we were seated right away by a man they called “Churro”, who happened to be the owner of the place. As we waited for the rest of our party to arrive, I ordered a spicy blood orange margarita, relaxed and enjoyed myself. The spicy part was definitely there, but I seemed to be missing the blood orange part. The drink was incredibly spicy, which I didn’t mind at all, but there was not a single ounce of blood orange taste or color in the drink at all. 



The rest of the meal that I partook in was the chips with salsa and guacamole, gazpacho, the torta ahogada, and the fried ice cream with honey drizzle. The salsa wasn’t terrible, but it really wasn’t very good either. It reminded me of a thick tomato soup, and I really was concerned that the rest of the meal was going to be just as subpar. However, the chips were homemade and incredibly delicious. They were incredibly crunchy, and they had the perfect amount of salt added to them. Dipping them in the guacamole was pure bliss. The avocados were creamy, and the spice added from the jalapenos was delectable.




My gazpacho came out after I had filled up on chips and salsa, but I was looking forward to having it nonetheless. I don’t know if it is just me, but I thought that gazpacho was supposed to be pureed all the way through to form a smooth soup instead of a chunky style soup like many others. That being said, even though it was not what I expected, it was still full of flavor. The strong flavor of the cilantro melding together with the acidity of the tomatoes was incredible.

After dusting off the rest of the gazpacho, it was time for the part of the meal that I was most excited about…the torta ahoghada. Everything about it sounded appetizing to me when I read it on the menu: Mexican pulled pork, a chile de arbol sauce, pickled onions...what’s not to love? When the sandwich came out, I quickly realized I wasn’t going to be able to eat this sandwich with my hands. The sauce was doused over top of the sandwich, and it was then topped with pickled onions and fresh slices of radish. The change in textures from the pork, which melted in my mouth, to the crunch of the pickled onions and radish, was incredible. I have never had to eat a sandwich with a fork and a knife before, but this sandwich was so good that I didn’t care. 



For dessert I went with our waitress’ recommendation, but I was less than impressed by it. When I heard deep fried ice cream I guess I was expecting something different in my mind. Obviously you cant deep fry ice cream the way you can other things but it just didn’t have the texture or taste that I was hoping for. I wish I had stuck to my guns and simply ordered the churros, but you live and learn!



Los Amigos was very inconsistent in my opinion. There were extreme highs and lows throughout the whole meal, and I simply would have enjoyed some more consistency and better execution on a few of the dishes. I would go back though, so I have no problem telling you to go out and try it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a food lover living in Philadelphia.

Followers